Wednesday, August 13, 2008

America's Fair, to partly cloudy

It rained most of the afternoon, and even on the way home. I did not expect to get to the fair tonight, but we did, after all. Mike & Lisa, with Maeve & Addie, came with Frank & Mary Pat, Janet and Pat. John & Esther came; little Julia was so excited to see them as they drove past us to park. Miles just dug everything. Mary drove the kids, and we met Gina, then Ceil & Amy joined us for a fair food dinner. You know, pizza, sausage, fried dough, cotton candy. I don't know how people ride the rides even before the feedbag, but after?

Julia was cheesing to ride the ferris wheel, but she eventually had a great ride on a carousel, along with Maeve. Then we went to the animals. Little Julia held her nose frequently, occasionally with good reason. Maeve loved everything but the turkeys. My head was spinning with ideas (my mind is a raging torrent...) concerning coniglio, veal, cochon de lait. Meat on a stick. Then we got to the sheep. There were a few Corriedales, the breed we used to raise. Julia and I met a woman whose son had some, and it turns out she and her brothers used to show them back when I did. I remember her brothers, the Fitzgeralds, who had a cool shamrock on their logo. We had some times, I'll tell ya.

Maeve touched all the animals she could. She almost poked a pig inappropriately, prompting a Mary Pat remark about a genetic connection to uncle Joe, the colo-rectal surgeon. Fortunately, Petunia was pretty quick and a messy tragedy was averted. Little Julia was somewhat more reserved, and also watched where she stepped.

It was so good to be with the gang who showed up. Definitely my kind of people. Julia & I had a few relaxing moments alone, with a nice little red wine, when we got home. We did not see any meteors, but we did remember the night Mike woke us to see the August meteors and the borealis, just after we moved into the big house. A spectacular celestial event made even better by the fact that no bail money was requested, even though it was about 3 am.

Speaking of 3 am, I shall trundle off to bed to join my love, who is probably sleeping with the TV on. I will turn the TV off, and enjoy the sleep of the just, until the morning when the new day begins. I love you all, and I cannot wait to see you.

There is going to be a memorial for Sue Brown Friday. She was also my kind of people.

No comments: