Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A restful weekend, can't wait till next year

The trip to see the Yankees was exceptional. Everybody had a great time. The drive down, which began early, was totally rainy. Each of the cars had somewhat homogeneous riders. I was with Leonard & Neil, and it was great. Louis ranged ahead, then got delayed at the bridge. Some of us went through Lincoln tunnel, and we met the others at the hotel, which had one room of our block available for early check in. So all the backpaks, coolers, etc. went there and we took the subway to the Stadium, in the rain. The Stadium is the principal reason for the New York selection, this being the last of it's 85 seasons and I had dreaded that we would be rained out. However, the sun was out and the games were played, Old Timers first then the Bombers vs the Halos. We won, for the first time in the series against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Our seat were quite high up, but covered and in the shade. You could see the field well, except for extreme Right field. We took the subway back, had a few blocks walk, the went to Sarge's for deli food in abundant quantities. I understand that some of the big eaters were satisfied but could have eaten more. Not me. In fact, I did not have the wherewithall to do more than have a nightcap with the other geezers and go to bed. Sad, but true. The next morning, we all arose and packed our stuff into the cars for the ride home. Phillipe and his family, our French cousins, came by to say bon jour & au revior, as they were flying back home themselves. I came home to pickled pot roast, brown rice & salad, prepared by the lovely Julia, who had taken time from the red tent weekend at our house to cook for me. My cup runneth over, but I will try to drink faster.

Yesterday, Julia made a Bluefoot chicken with Tony Cachere seasoning, and some celery and onion. She had to remove the head & feet before she roasted this beautiful chicken, a women of the colony move if ever there was one. It was spectacular. Julia was not having wine, because she had an early, busy day. I took care of things, however, so no wine was wasted.

In fact, as is often the case in Summer, I did have an early, busy day. After a jammed up morning in EA, I went to the General to help Mohamed with an osteotomy. He did great, as I knew he would. I was there until later than I planned, so Julia & I had a later bite at Tantalus. Instead of the Strykersville rodeo & tractor pull with my friend Dave. It is also raining hard.

We opened a wine called Ball Buster, an Aussie screw cap meritage, mostly syrah. Nice, actually; big, fruited, somewhat complex and long in aftertaste. Easy to drink. Just the thing for a red tent gathering.

Enjoy yourselves, stay dry and stay in touch.

No comments: