Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A little Lillet goes a long, long way

Our weekend was excellent. On Friday, after the memorial for Sue Brown, we stopped at the reception at Field of Dreams to say hello to friends we never see anymore. It was a sad event, but good to visit with so many people we are close to. They all loved Sue. We had a bite at Tantalus with Neil later, that was delightful.

Saturday was beautiful weather, and Julia & I spent the day outdoors. Julia did such a good job on the gardens, which needed her touch desperately. We finally got the lawns mowed. We could have baled the grass, but it is so much better. I saw several snakes, the first ones this summer, slithering in the tall grass. They are welcome to come by and eat mice, as long as I don't see them. On Sunday, Neil gave us some trees, specially selected for the poorly drained part of the front. I had planned on thinning the trees in the lawn, to make it easier to mow, but these are really nice and we are grateful to Neil for them, and Dennis, Tyler & James for planting them with the old ford tractor.

We celebrated Julia's birthday Sunday with the entire nuclear fam. We ate on the patio; corn, tomatoes, beets, steak & garlic bread. The children were running and playing, until cake time. Mike made the cake, a Tetris themed delight that we all enjoyed. Deja Vu all over again. Esther has some photos that mostly came from Lisa on her blog, they make me smile every time I look at them.

Julia was horrified to find some mildew on one of the flooded walls in the basement, and we had some trouble with an electric breaker. I spoke with Tim, our treasured construction consultant, on Monday. He was by with the electrician that afternoon, who fixed the breaker and repaired some other wires and stuff. I like electricity even less than I care for snakes. The mildew is apparently less serious than we thought, and can be bleached away. We would be lost without Tim.

Last night we had dinner with Frank & Mary Pat, at Amarylis. Julia was immediately won over by the discovery of Lillet at their bar. It was a great evening and a fine meal. Thanks so much to Frank & Mary Pat for hosting that delectable event. Any visit with them is terrific.

Tonight, we have two political events. There is a casual fundraiser for Brian Higgins, then a gathering for Alice Krysak. It is interesting that I find most of the people at these things pleasant and interesting. I also appreciate having elected officials with brains and hearts. Nonetheless, I look forward to getting home for a last glass with the lovely Julia, mavbe a little Ireland planning. There has been some progress on that topic, which I will share shortly. Until then, I hope you are all enjoying these late summer days and I hope we can spend more of them together.

No comments: