Thursday, March 19, 2009

our house is a very, very,very fine house

I had a few dorm type residences, but the first time I actually confronted the harsh reality of housing came when I was in the Navy. I had lived in the barracks for a while, and elected to get into off base housing because the barracks lacked many comforts, not to mention privacy. Also, I did not know that people actually listened to country music until I was there.

Anyway, there was a street of identical rental houses that were eventually upgraded to slum status, well after I left. Jo-Ellen circle was home to about two hundred Seabees, most of whom had motorcycles and only short term goals. The wall and the ceiling in our living room had about a two inch gap and we had a Navy poncho for a shower curtain. The front door didn't actually close. I can produce a witness to support this. We had a helluva time.

This is only questionably a response to the question, I think. More reasonably, we lived in the luxurious Campus Manor apartments when we were first married. These were respectable dwellings, but had a few minor shortcomings. Like ice forming on the inside of the windows, and a thermonuclear oven which did not have a thermostat. We nonetheless ate long and awesome meals and generally had a helluva time. I had a motorcycle, for a while, and Lenny & Reg lived downstairs.

1 comment:

Mike Garvey said...

"Anyway, there was a street of identical rental houses that were eventually upgraded to slum status, well after I left. Jo-Ellen circle was home to about two hundred Seabees, most of whom had motorcycles and only short term goals."

Classic.