Friday, July 25, 2008

Friday night lights

Ah, Friday evening, the most relaxed and happy time. The office was fairly busy and I was grateful for it, but when we were done, I was grateful for that, too. I had enough time to go home and change, then I was to meet Ceil, Amy & Mary for a bite at Amaryllis. I was looking forward to this, having heard plenty but not having been there. I stopped to get some dry cleaning and didn't I get a call from Sisters. I changed into some of the stuff I picked up, and hit the hospital before dinner, and made it just about on time. The patient is almost 80, and was admitted for altered mental status but had apparently sustained facial trauma. He was a delightful, tiny little man who had no idea how his cheekbone got broken. He was quite gracious, but had no history to give, and didn't want anything I could offer him. He hadn't fallen, he told me, because he always wears his glasses, and they had not been broken. Fortunately, he had no functional deficits, and cosmetics issues have no role here. When I told him I did not think he needed my services, I made a new friend. I listened to him for about 30 minutes, and then left for dinner.

The girls were at the bar. We had a drink and then went to the table. Very pleasant, the food was quite good. Limited but OK wine list, reasonable glassware. The waitstaff was very good. We had a great time. The singer had been a patient quite a while ago, and I would perhaps not have recognized her except I got a heads up from Christine. It was very nice that she remembered me, even after all these years (and sedation meds).

Julia, my love, comes home in two days. I brought a bluefoot chicken up from the freezer ( with head & feet ). It will thaw slowly then become a delicious, romantic meal. We will see what the farmers have at the market in the morning, some lima beans, I hope. But whatever is really nice, and there is always something, we will have a fine dinner Sunday. Perhaps with a little wine.

Tomorrow, I will go to Little Deb's and Rob's wedding party in the country. Amy, Ceil & Mary will come along, as well as most of the office people. It will be fun , and we are all happy for the new couple, especially the blushing bride.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. Stop by if you can, although you may get the impression that I am preoccupied if Julia is home.

1 comment:

Julia said...

It was an awesome dinner. Thank you....