Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Happy Trails to You

A really nice lol (little old lady) came in this afternoon. She had been in Utah visiting her daughter, took a spill in the dark, and sustained an injury. She was treated in Utah, and is just now home, needing follow up care. I mentioned that the only time I have been to Utah was a brief layover on the way to Anchorage, and she really lit up. She loves Alaska, and has been there many times because one of her children was stationed at Elmendorf, the big air base where I landed on the way to Viet Nam, with a record setting hangover. She & her husband drove there in an RV one time.

I mentioned this to Julia, which led to the "Where Would You Go With an RV, a Month and Some Money?" conversation. We began modestly, like to Maine for lobster, but eventually we visited Glacier National Park in Great Falls, Montana; Alaska, of course, and South America. We remembered that the highway from Guatemala City to the Mayan ruins at Tikal is a brand new road but cannot be traveled because of the banditos, and recalled the roadside caves we saw along some of the roads we did travel, in daylight, where rebels used to hide but now the banditos frequent. So maybe there are some RV constraints in addition to the ocean. We talked about the fam trip to DC and then on to Alabama, a really great memory.

So where would you go, who would you travel with? What would you take, in addition to cases of champagne? I would go with Julia, and I would not take a cell phone.

5 comments:

Julia said...

OK, the RV would be really air conditioned (as I have my own "personal summer"...) we would have lots of champagne (our rock bottom, White Star, would be ok), we'd start off cruising the Gullah islands off SC and Georgia, then to Plains, Georgia to have dinner with Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter. We'd then head west toward the Grand Canyon, Glacier National Park and finally to Alaska. Yep, we'd need at least a month. Gotta see that giant ball of string, too.

Mike Garvey said...

West to Washington, south to California, east to Florida, north to Maine, and then home. And I'd make excellent road trip mixes.

But as long as we're dreaming, let's turn that RV into a hugh-jass yacht. Then the four corners of my trek would expand globally.

Esther said...

Utah might be on that list. I'd love to ski there. Grand Canyon for sure. I think that's in the RV road trip rules, isn't it?

Leah said...

The RV would go West to Boulder, via Buffalo and Chicago. We'd throw the kids down a few ski slopes, show them the desert and head back down to the everglades (we are having a fascination with gators lately). Given my druthers, we'd selling the wheels in FL and sail home. If not, we'd head straight up route 95 as Sammy gets a kick out of 95 running the entire coast.
And my co-pilots would be my usual support staff of inquiring minds and their great god, Daddy.

Papa said...

Dear Leah,
I am so pleased to note that even the extended family is sure to have some kind of a glass even in the most beautiful, serene photographs.
Bottoms up,
Big Mike