Thursday, July 24, 2008

Gimme forty acres to turn this plane around

It was a perfect respite, wonderfully relaxing and fun. Our flight into Atlanta was delayed such that we would have microseconds to catch the connection to Pensacola. We had to depart from a different terminal than we arrived at, and we were the last ones on, but we made it, along with our luggage. Again, God is good. Our drive from the airport to the beach was under a full moon on the Gulf, and the road from the rockin' Gulf Shores beaches to Fort Morgan was through undeveloped beach and sandy woods. It smelled so good, sounded soothing and was hot, hot. It was totally reminiscent of Gulf Shores back in the day.

Julia & Miles were perfect. We had such a good time with them. I'll bet we used ten gallons of sunscreen. They loved the pool, digging on the beach. Julia had mild trepidation about the surf, which got stronger as the storm Dolly made her way to Texas, probably to mess with it. The last day I was there, Nana Julia & I were in thigh deep water looking for nettable little fish or crabs to catch for the children's amusement, Julia's back was to the beach, and I was looking toward it.
She softly said "There is a big one.", which I thought was in reference to a fish until the wave knocked both of us right off our feet.

Food was just fine, generally fried seafood, at Lulu's, for instance. We had Royal Reds boiled in Zatarains, heads on and peeled on the balcony while drinking a little red wine on Saturday, my birthday. Who could ask for more? They put 59 candles on my cake, but we had no lighters or matches so we had to pretend. We did have fire for Esther Baugh's cake the next day, and the fire alarm really went off! Ha! Ha!

Julia took me to Pensacola on Monday, and I flew home uneventfully. I met John at the airport last evening, to pick up Esther, Mary & the children. Little Julia wanted to continue the vacation, very smart kid. I had dinner with Ceil & Amy earlier at Wasabi, very good.

Nana Julia will be home in a few days, she is visiting with Esther Baugh. Her high school reunion is Saturday, then she will come home. I will make it worth her while. I know she is having a great time in Alabama, but I miss her and can't wait to have her back.

No comments: